Re: Car Stereo headphone jack

To: dstauffa@csc.com
Subject: Re: Car Stereo headphone jack
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:42:38 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I am planning on installing a 1/8 headphone jack in the TR6.  We have already
>looked at and eliminated using some type of portable stereo player.  The idea
>here is to plug into the new Sony player recently installed where the
original
>radio sat.  I've picked up a female jack plug from the local computer
parts bin
>and now have a question for you fellow list members:
***********************************
I sincerely hope that is in NOT so you can use headphones while driving.
This is not only dangerous, it's illegal, and I apologize in advance for
misinterpreting this if this is not your intention.  If it is, on the other
hand, to provide an output for something like an external amp, then you
have to be careful.  The three connection, 1/8 dia phone jack's are
designed for one common, and one each signal right and left.  The two
smaller most connections near the tip are usually for right and left, and
the one connection nearest the "handle" is usually for the common
connection. The common is usually the ("neg") side but not always.  Some
receiver outputs are NOT "one lead common", but have separate leads for
both right and left outputs, and if you commonize one of them you risk
damaging the output circuitry of the unit -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)