Re: Fake chrome refurbishing

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Fake chrome refurbishing
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:01:32 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
The most common process used today to plate plastic is "ion
bombardment", where the piece is literally bombarded with ions of the
type metal that is to be plated.  It is an expensive process if you are
dealing with a few parts because of the expense of the chamber that is
required.

But if you are doing literally thousands of the same piece (i.e. plastic
watch cases), the cost is rather small.  Texas Instruments began using
this process in the '70's when they realized that without a case that
offered a ground plane, they were losing a lot of watches to
electrostatic discharge.  So they began plating the inside of their
plastic cases to provide a suitable ground.

It worked so well that they also began plating the outsides!

Regards,
Joe

--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer