VAT and parts from England

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: VAT and parts from England
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:30:46 -0600

While Mark Ascherl wrote:

>Not true Jeff,  I've always been presented
>with a import duty bill from UPS when I have
>received an order from the UK.  Usually
>comes about a week after delivery.

This probably explains why I sometimes get a bill for import duty from UPS,
and more sometimes I don't. Clearly we in the USA don't have to pay VAT, but
it appears that some items are subject to import duty and some are not. Most
recently I had to pay a duty on the Castrol R that I bought from a UK source
(at a _very_ dear price, but still cheaper than the price charged in the
US).

Jim Hill
Madison WI