TR3A Side Curtains

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Side Curtains
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 07:58:27 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Folks --

I have recently acquired a 1958 TR3A, TS41439L. I got it on eBay, the car
being delivered earlier this week. I am very pleased with what I bought,
even though it doesn't start right now. The most important factor is that my
wife ("The Treasurer") likes the car. It should start once this cold weather
breaks and I have more time to work on it. After all, the previous owner
drove it all summer and fall and drove it onto the car carrier. The car
spent two and half weeks and over 5000 miles enroute to my home.

But I digress. The side curtains are toast, one with white fabric and the
other with none at all. I'm interested in your opinions on how to re-build
these in black. I know TRF can do it for about $450 and several months'
time. New ones cost $500, $300 on sale. Does anyone have directions on how I
can re-build the side curtains; what material to buy and  where to get it;
how to stitch the fabric, etc.? Or do you know of anyone who does this in a
reasonable amount of time at a more-than-reasonable cost?

Okay, okay, I'll explain what happens when I try to start it. I thought it
might have been the cold weather (it was -5 degrees F this morning in
Connecticut). The battery is a new (6 months) Die Hard. The choke linkage
was disconnected. The PO said he never needed to use the choke in Oklahoma.
Because it was late and all the stores were closed, I used wire to replace
the missing clevis pins in the linkages. Still no start. There is a strong
smell of gas and some is slowly dripping from the rear carburetor. I haven't
checked to see if I'm getting a spark yet, that's my next step. Any other
ideas?
TIA,
Red Hansen
'58 TR3A - TS41439