Re: Stuck piston in caliper -- what now?

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck piston in caliper -- what now?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:23:57 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Hi Jeff,

I made a tool to help remove caliper pistons on my TR4, might help you
too. It's nothing more than one of those rubber replacement engine
"freeze plugs" that are available at most auto parts store. I welded a
flat steel handle on the large washer that makes up one side of the
"sandwich". When you tighten the nut on the freeze plug, the rubber is
squeezed between two washers & expands. Before tightening, it fits
loosely into the back of the caliper piston. When I tighten it, the
rubber expands and gets a good grip inside the piston. I can usually
then rotate it enough to break it loose and work it free from the
caliper body.

9 times out of ten, it's old dried up brake fluid that "glues" the seal
and piston into the caliper body. Sometimes just drizzling a little
fresh brake fluid around the edge of the piston helps, too.

I've also heard of using a bicycle pump to put some air pressure in the
caliper to pop the pistons loose. Another lister while ago said he used
a grease gun, pumped the caliper full until it pushed the piston free.

Ideally, you could use the hydraulic system itself to pop a piston
loose, by clamping all the others and pumping on the brakes a bit. Of
course, it's usually the last piston that won't come out!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

--