TR3 motor on cart, tub on sawhorses .. goo everywhere else

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 motor on cart, tub on sawhorses .. goo everywhere else
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:00:37 -0600
Thanks to everyone for their input on the construction of my rolling
motor cart.  The general consensus was that it's probably OK to leave
the thing sitting on its oil pan, though I am going to disconnect the
transmission and stash it somewhere.  Fred Thomas warned me that this
might cause more oil leaks than a Triumph already has (is it
possible?!), but a few others said they had done this without ill
effect.

Most people suggested just buying an engine stand and putting it on
that.  I hadn't realized how inexpensive they are, and had already
bought the casters for my homebuilt one (I wound up using 6 just to
make it easy on my rough floor), so I have not invested in the stand
... yet.  When motor rebuild time comes, I'll get one.

Harbor Freight or any local auto parts store were recommended as good
sources, with price quotes ranging from $45 to $150.  My Harbor
Freight catalog "should be on its way in 2 to 4 weeks" (what kind of
delivery service takes 2 to 4 weeks anymore?)

I also successfully lifted my tub off the frame yesterday.  I had
already put a small wooden framework under the tub, with the tub
resting on the rockers.  I wound up suspending the framework from my
parts loft by chains, and lifting each corner a few notches at a time
until I could get the sawhorses under it, then lowering it back down.

Some weeks ago, long before even attempting to lift the tub, I used
some carefully bent electrical conduit to make fairly rigid
attachments between the holes for the bonnet and the holes for the
boot lid, so hopefully the tub won't flex much, if at all, in the
middle.  Someone on the list suggested that, and it was a very easy
and economical method which seems like it will be quite effective as
well (thanks again!).

Today I was out there scraping goo off my rear axle; it seemed about
3/4" thick in many places around the differential.  Yuck.
Fortunately it was easy to scrape off, though I've "ruined" yet
another pair of jeans.

How does one remove the shock link from the shock arm, anyway?

Also -- I recently got a  pic of myself with the 3, prior to recent
operations.  It's posted at
http://thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/pages/danbuettner57tr3.html
It's a little funny in spots due to the bright sun (had to do some
sloppy image editing), but you can see me and what's left of the car.

Later,
Dan
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)