Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:29:49 -0500
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Has anybody used one of these (Walker Mufflers "Dynomax series" Super
> Turbo) on their TR's, specifically, but not limited to the 6 cylinder TR's?
>  I am considering replacing the Stock TR6 muffler that I have installed on
> the V6 Spitfire with one of these.  I was hoping to replace it with a big
> bore 2" TR6 Stainless Steel one, but all of the inquires to find out more
> about these systems has been fruitless.  I only want the rear silencer, not
> the complete system as the rest of the pipes are fine.  I would use one of
> these if they were truly free flowing versions of the TR6 box in stainless
> steel, not just a copy of the stock version in SS.
> Anyway, If you have, used a Dynomax version (not just any generic "turbo"
> muffler) I would like your comments.  Was it noisier than a stock unit, and
> if so by how much.  I don't mind a SLIGHT increase over the stock muffler,
> but a noticeable one would be objectionable especially at cruise (around
> 2700 RPM) -  This is after all a daily driver.  The one I am thinking of
> using is for a Chevy Celebrity Ciera (similar displacement V6) that uses a
> 2-/14" inlet, with twin 2" outlets and I would mount it transverse just as
> the current one is.  Otherwise their universal series should work, but they
> don't have the dual outlet version in a size I could use under there so it
> wouldn't look quite as nice.
> Thanks. . .
>
> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net
>
> 72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> 70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
> 70 Spitfire (long term project)

Barry,

I use the Walker/Dynomax mufflers a lot on custom exhausts.  Generally, they
produce
slightly elevated noise levels compared to stock TR stuff.  The biggest
difference
you'll notice is that the tone is much deeper with the W/D Turbo's.

If you want a free flowing muffler that is quieter than stock TR muffs, ask at
your
dealer about Walker QuiteFlow - there should be one available to fit your
desired
Ciera application.  They cost more than the Turbo's, but your ears will
appreciate the
difference on the daily commute!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars