Can I afford a bead blaster?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Can I afford a bead blaster?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:32:41 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Jeff writes:
The more of these cruddy old parts I take off the car and scrub with a wire
brush, the more I'm thinking I need to invest in a bead blaster.  Where,
pray tell, can I find one, how much do they cost and what's the diff
between
a bead blaster and a sand blaster?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Jeff

Jeff,

Harbor Freight has the best price for amateur use blasting cabinets and you
can
have one for between $100 and $200.  The difference between Sand blast and
bead blast is the blasting media (the grit you put in the cabinet).

Please note thaa you need a LOT of compressor.  Our blast cabinet here at
work
would run the 5HP compressor out of air in about 45 seconds and you would
have to
wait for the pressure to build back up.  We now have a 10 HP duplex (3
phase, $2500)
compressor that keeps up just fine.

My advice is if you have any large items (frame members, suspension
members)
take them to a pro.  A home cabinet will be fine for bolts, brackets, you
know, little
stuff.

Dave