TR Value v. Inflation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR Value v. Inflation
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:23:46 -0500

Mike Cook wrote:

....Let's not forget the real determining factor here:
Intrinsic Triumph Value vs. New Car Cost.

Our TR's are just alternatives to their new counterparts. It is the ratio
that is important, not the dollar value.....

I could not agree more.  About 13 years ago I bought a rust free, non running
      TR-6, intending to repair and resell the car.  I bought and fixed it in
      Texas and used it in Michigan as my winter car for one season.  I got a
      lot of looks from other drivers in their new cars, presumably wondering
      why any one would drive a "classic car" in the snow.  I, on the other
      hand, was wondering why anyone would pay upwards of $15K (back then) for a
      new car that would only depreciate and rust away compared to my $1,700
      TR-6 that would also rust but not depreciate much.  BTW, I installed a
      hot/cold water manifold inside my house upstream of the outside faucet so
      that I could wash the car, including the wheel wells and underside with
      hot water in the middle of winter - this did wonders in minimizing rust
      formation on the rock chipped underside of the car.