Re: Removing stuck caliper pistons the safe and effective way

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>, "TR Listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: Removing stuck caliper pistons the safe and effective way
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:10:26 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
FYI,

I had no problem threading the grease gun into the brake line inlet on the
caliper and only screwed it in far enough to get the job done.  I'm
confident that there was no damage done.  After freeing the stuck piston, I
blew compressed air through the same inlet to force the majority of the
grease into the chambers where most of it fell out onto a rag I had on the
garage floor.  I wiped out the rest, sprayed the caliber with brake cleaner
to REALLY dissolve any remaining grease, and then shortly thereafter,
flushed the calipers with denatured alcohol.  Actually, I let the calipers
soak in a tub of the stuff for a few hours.  Then, I used compressed air
once more to blow out the denatured alcohol and the calipers are airing out
for a week until my new pistons arrive.  I decided to throw out the old
ones.

Unless I screwed up somewhere along the line, I consider the mission a
success, so far.  I'm sure someone will let me know if I blew it or not.  As
soon as my DOT 5 arrives, I'm going to clean the calipers further with that
stuff, then insert all new rubber seals.  I just rebuilt my MC today with
new rubber.  New hoses are in the offing as well.  I'm ready for DOT 5.
I've owned this car since January 4th and I can't wait to take it for a
drive!

Best wishes,

Jeff