TR3 Update - She's breathin' Again (long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Update - She's breathin' Again (long)
From: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:44:22 -0500

This is just an update for all of you who have been answering all my
questions for the past 8 months while I've been restoring a '60 TR3A
#TS70573L. You may remember, I bought this as as re-sale project with a
target completion of May '00. After a total frame-off rebuild, I'm about
89% done.  The engine runs and most everything works right so far (I
haven't driven it yet!).  Now all that's left is to finish the interior
trim, make a few tweaks, fix a few leaks, and take her for a spin. I can't
wait!  This list is great !!!

FYI - Below is a list of questions I've thrown to the list over the past 8
months, followed by the findings and actions I decided to take based on the

What will it be worth? Can it make money?     Already received a profitable
offer.
Rod bearings too tight.                  Corrected mismatched bearing caps.
Engine rear oil leak with new rear seal.           ? Still leaks!
Engine idle too high.                    Throttle plate off-center and
loose return spring.
Two spacers on only one rear spring?          Re-installed them.
Dip, strip, sand, or sandblast?               Dipped body and frame.
Re-paint original Yellow or Re-sale Red       Signal Red
Paint the frame black or body-color?          Black
Body seams between tonneau panel and
   inner rear fenders. Correct or not?        Filled them in.
Temp gauge not working.            Capillary tube broken. Had gauge
rebuilt.
Doors won't fit. Wrong hinges?                Previous body damage and
repair. Used                                  older style hinges with
shims.
Hood questions.      Missing parts?                Hood appears to be
missing reinforcement piece
Should the radiator shroud be installed?           Installed it.
Was the rear seat standard or optional?       ? Still don't have one.
Undecided.
Company wants me to move to ElPaso.      What
what do I do about the car?              I'm staying in Michigan.

For those interested, I've kept very accurate records of my time and the
costs involved in this project. I developed a comprehensive spreadsheet
that shows all of the parts purchased and the comparative prices for each
part from the Big 3. I did the same thing during the restoration of my
other TR3 and used it as a planning budget for this one, not to limit my
spending, but to know how much I was going to have to spend!  If you are
planning to restore a TR3, this might be of some use and I'd be happy to
send it to you. Please e-mail me privately if you want a copy.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
'60 TR3A
'58 TR3A