Re: Brake drums

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake drums
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 10:17:13 -0500
"T. R. Householder" wrote:

> I don't feel this is entirely true. By design the Brake shoes are
> mounted in a configuration that they float.?????????????????

Yes, they are designed to have some freedom of location by nature of the
elongated slot
which the wheel cylinder fits through.  However, it takes quite a bit of force
to move the
cylinder in that slot.  Such force must be transmitted through the shoe, where
the friction
material will contact the drum.  When this occurs, you'll feel braking force.
No, it won't
bring the car to a screeching halt, but there will be friction created and
you'll feel the
pulsation.

Think of the example of a warped rotor - in theory, the brake fluid in the
pistons should
just oscillate from one side of the caliper to the other and you wouldn't feel
any
pulsation, but the reality is that the human body is very sensitive to such
motions and you
can easily detect the pulsation.  The concept is the same for rotors or drums.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars