Re: Rear Brake Drums interchangablity?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Brake Drums interchangablity?
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 12:56:16 -0500
J&E wrote:

> Hi List!
>         Since the topic of AL. Fin Rear Brake Drums, off of a 240 -> 280Z, has
> come up, I have a question on interchangablity. Is the TR6 Rear Brake
> Drum interchangable with the TR4/A IRS Rear Brake Drum?
>         Please correct me if  I'm wrong: The TR4 Rear Brake Drums are
> interchangable with the TR4/A Rear Brake Drums, & the TR4/A IRS Rear
> Brake Drums are interchangable with the TR4/A Rear Brake Drums. TIA
> -Cosmo Kramer

The solid axle cars use wheel studs that screw into the hub fange from the
front and
are peened over on the backside.  The IRS cars have studs that are pressed in
from the
backside of the hub.  As a result of this difference, the clearance hole in the
drum
is larger for the solid axle cars than the IRS cars.  You can enlarge the holes
from a
TR-6 drum to fit TR-4, but don't swap the other way as you'd be relying only on
the
two small countersink screws to transmit all braking forces to the axle flange.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars