TR3 Idles Too High

To: "INTERNET:Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com" <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Subject: TR3 Idles Too High
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:29:58 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
>I've recently rebuilt the engine and re-installed the original H6 carbs.
Other than the big-bore kit, the guts of the engine are all stock. I can't
seem to get the engine to idle at less than 1800 RPMs. I've disconnected
the throttle linkage and backed the idle screws and choke cam screw all the
way out. If I twist hard on the throttle shaft, I can get the idle down to
about 800 RPMs, but as soon as I let go, it revs back up again.  While the
throttle shaft bushings are suspect, if air was passing through them,
wouldn't this cause the engine to idle too low? Before I rip into the carbs
and check the throttle plates, any ideas?

Jeff Williamson
<

Sounds like either bushings or throttle plates to me.  If it was a
vacuum leak elsewhere in the system you wouldn't be able to
reduce the idle to 800 by forcing the throttle and it wouldn't jump
back when you let go.  My bet is that the throttle plates are
not properly centered.  Centering throttle plates is a bit of an
art.  With the carburettor off of the manifold, back the idle adj
screw all the way off the cam.  loosen the two screws that
secure the plate to the shaft and wiggle the shaft and plate.
The plate will find it's center.  Then tighten the screws and
check for light leakage around the plate.

Dave