gearbox conversion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: gearbox conversion
From: bill williams <wuffo_97@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 13:51:29 -0800 (PST)
I may have this  all wrong.... BUT if im not mistaken
there are a few differences in late v. early
gearboxes.
The flange on a later gearbox is thicker than an early
one,,, this can be demonstrated by turning both bell
housing down and seeing that an early gearbox... ie
TR3 A will wobble as the input shaft stands proud of
the bellhousing... whereas if you sit a late... ie
TR4-6 gearbox  bellhousing down it will sit flat on
the floor.... the reason i mention this is if you
install a late gearbox in an early car it has been
told to me that you SHOULD put a LONGER bronze input
shaft bush in the end of the crankshaft,,,, so the
input shaft will be supported in the manner to which
it is used to.. I have also been told this is a
theoretical concern only and the stock bronze bush
should do just as well if you do put a later gearbox
in... the OTHER problem will be when you put the rear
tranny mount on the frame support,,, two things will
become immediately apparent... one,, the lip that acts
as a stiffener to the rear tranny support will
interfere with the mount itself,,,, and secondly the
holes will not line up.... both are easily remedied
with a drill and a die grinder... as for the
difference in the distance between the output flange
and the rear end,,, i THINK it works out to less that
an inch difference and shouldn't be a problem......if
im wrong on any of these points im sure any of the
people on the net who know more about this will
correct it... SO i suggest you wait a couple days
before taking my advice and see if anyone calls me to
task for giving out possible faulty info.......

as an unrelated aside,,, i was wondering if anyone has
ever started a chapter of the Triumph Register of
America and could let me know what all that entails,,,
we have a couple of diehard TR3 whackos here who are
finishing restoration projects in the St Louis area
and would like a little more organization to our beer
drinking,

 thanks
Bill Varnum

61 TR3A... soon to be,,,,"mit kompressor"
58 TR3A

http://messenger.yahoo.com