Body mounting pads

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Body mounting pads
From: Dean_Mericas <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 06:54:39 -0500
I am in the process of completely stripping my TR4 for a repaint.  I'm
finding lots of little surprizes (rusted floors, broken window guides, etc.)
that I am trying to deal with properly as part of the process.

The latest revelation is that the body is not sitting level on the frame.
The entire driver's side of the car appears to be 1/2 - 3/4 inch lower than
the passenger's side. I replaced all springs about 8,000 miles ago, so I am
confident that the difference is not sagging suispension parts.

I figure now is the time to add/subtract body mounting pads/shims to get the
alignment right before sending the car to the painter.  I know that
Moss/TRF/others sell mounting pads, but I'm pressed for time and I'd like to
fabricate the shims myself.  Can anyone provide suggestions on the best
material to use, as well as likely local sources (e.g., hardware store,
plumbing supply, etc.).

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4 (CT 37089 L)