Brazing over Jethot's coating -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brazing over Jethot's coating -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:35:35 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
An update for ya.  I got around to moving some more equipment to the *new*
address and one of the pieces was the oxy/acetylene welder.  The MIG,
lathe, and mill are still over there (haven't cleared out all "her" stuff
in the garage yet, but that's another story :-}.)
   Anyway, it is possible to baize through the coating once you have burned
it off.  It takes a little doing, and it wasn't pretty (although it doesn't
really look that bad).  It does however ruin the coating, which was to be
expected, within about an inch around the area affected, but headers coated
in this fashion can be repaired.  Now to find some aluminum type paint or
coating that I can cover the affected area with so it doesn't glare out at
you, and the clincher, that won't burn off.  There's always a gotcha isn't
there :-)