re: lesson from drive #2

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: lesson from drive #2
From: "Roy" <techman@metrolink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:15:58 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Years ago, I had a similar experience with my '59 TR3a. I had just replaced
both bonnet hinges ($25 each in the mid-1970's from an Atlanta British car
yard but still quite expensive for a college kid). The bonnet safety latch
was acting up and the Dzus fasteners were quirky.

As I pulled onto I-285 (Atlanta perimeter highway) about midnight on my way
home, I was increasing up to cruising speed. I noticed the bonnet was not
secured (it had popped up slightly, only the safety latch holding it).
Before I could slow to a stop, the bonnet lifted, opened fully, rotated over
the windscreen, bounced off the top of my head and continued on up into the
air about 15-20 feet, sort of like a wilting kite. I observed it in the rear
view mirror as it settled down onto the pavement about 40-50 feet behind me.
I quickly pulled over, ran back and recoverd the bonnet and rode home with
it behind the seats. Fortunately, at midnight in the 1970's on I-285 near
Marietta there was almost no traffic. So much for newly replaced bonnet
hinges.

Roy Malac
'60 TR3a TS63103LO (in restoration)
techman@metrolink.net