TR4 - Tires Rubbing on Fender with WW - ANSWER

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 - Tires Rubbing on Fender with WW - ANSWER
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:53:56 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Folks,

Just got back from a wonderful ride on some local rural roads.  I have this
regular loop I do. About 10 miles... I always come back relaxed and happy
with the world.

I was testing some bending I did to the front wheel opening.  On close
inspection I found that the tires were rubbing on this piece of the wheel
opening where it gets bent back 90 degrees, In some former episode the PO
or someone had done some straightening here and there was a section of the
lip that protruded out away from it's correct 90 degree position.

The wider track of the wire wheels was causing the tire to make contact
where it had never rubbed before.  Nice and simple fix... that's fine with
me.

BTW,  I found the paint to be absolutely brittle.  When I bent the little
1/4 inch section back in... the paint just fell off....showing the previous
layer.  This car had a beautiful old paint job when I found it.... but
whatever it is... maybe lacquer...  it is very easily damaged.  Luckily it
not in a noticeable place and some touchup work will make it right.   Just
haven't seen paint do that on cars before.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/Home.html (Big Update on 6/13/99)