RE: how ck levershocks

To: " CarlSereda@aol.com" <CarlSereda@aol.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: how ck levershocks
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:58:06 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: CarlSereda@aol.com
>Subject: how ck levershocks??
>

>Hi List,
>When I thrust up and down on the two levers on the original rear '64 TR4
>lever shocks (links undone) I sense a slight diference between the two,
>resistance-wise.
>I hooked up a three pound weight to each and timed with a stopwatch to see

>how fast each raised lever 'rotated down to the bottom position'.
>DRIVER SIDE lever - drops in 4 seconds.
>PASSENGER SIDE lever - drops in 3.5 seconds.
>at first I thought ...well at one time the TR leaf springs were made
>different (driver side = stiffer spring) so maybe they did similar things
>with the shocks..
.>.is that right anyone?..
>And anyone out there know about the inner workings of 'lever shocks'? Can
>fiddle (adjust spring valve) on the 'insert mechanism' at the bottom of
shock
>box and make some kind of adjustment to get them to be the same and proper

>resistance? And how do I gauge the proper resistance to ensure I'm at
factory
>specs?
>The shocks are full of liquid (removed tops) and other than a little
>'twinkling' (tiny air bubbles?) sound when strong arming the operating
levers
> - they seem to be fine - no leaks, or dead spots and smooth moving.
>Please help - hoping I'm not required to buy new or rebuilts,
<

Carl,

I think the shocks were originally competely identical, but over time
one has loosened up just a bit.  When you cycle through the entire
arc of motion you find no dead spots.  That is critical.  The small
difference
you found is probably not significant in real life use, but you never know.

It is indeed possible to fiddle with your shocks to stiffen them up, at
least
a little.  First is to change the shock oil.  You might try straight 30wt
engine
oil.  Kastner liked 40wt.  Then there are the bypass spring settings.

You can find a small article on shock adjustment on my website at:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes

Let me know all your follow-up questions and I might have an idea of the
answer!

-Tony