RTV in engines

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RTV in engines
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:45:58 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
>FWIW...just a comment I recieved from an experienced engine rebuilder the
>other day...'don't use 'silicone' gasket sealer on engines as it can ooze
>out on the inside and make rubber band like little strips that don't
>dissintegrate in the oil but lodge in oil passages instead - permatex type
>gasket sealer on the other hand melts down in the oil..."
>Carl

Carl,

This is a true and I should have been more specific.  I only use a smear of
the Ultra Blue, just to fill in minor imperfections, like between the oil
pan gasket and the pan.

Although not using silicone anywhere where it can get inside an engine is
good practice, a decent oil filter should keep everything larger than a few
microns out of the oil passages and bearings.

RTV is really the only way to repair the front engine plate gasket damage
which occurs when you change out the front bearings in a TR2-4 engine.  When
you pull the aluminum spacer, the gasket often comes with it.  RTV can seal
this area much better than anthing I can think of.  Yes, be careful, but
total avoidance is not required.  BTW - I know of some folks using RTV,
instead of the soaked felts, to seal the rear main bearing cap; something I
am not comfortable with.

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando