how ck levershocks??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: how ck levershocks??
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:22:18 EDT
Hi List,
When I thrust up and down on the two levers on the original rear '64 TR4
lever shocks (links undone) I sense a slight diference between the two,
resistance-wise.
I hooked up a three pound weight to each and timed with a stopwatch to see
how fast each raised lever 'rotated down to the bottom position'.
DRIVER SIDE lever - drops in 4 seconds.
PASSENGER SIDE lever - drops in 3.5 seconds.
at first I thought ...well at one time the TR leaf springs were made
different (driver side = stiffer spring) so maybe they did similar things
with the shocks..
..is that right anyone?..
And anyone out there know about the inner workings of 'lever shocks'? Can I
fiddle (adjust spring valve) on the 'insert mechanism' at the bottom of shock
box and make some kind of adjustment to get them to be the same and proper
resistance? And how do I gauge the proper resistance to ensure I'm at factory
specs?
The shocks are full of liquid (removed tops) and other than a little
'twinkling' (tiny air bubbles?) sound when strong arming the operating levers
- they seem to be fine - no leaks, or dead spots and smooth moving.
Please help - hoping I'm not required to buy new or rebuilts,
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74