Heater Core Water Flow - Which Way?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Heater Core Water Flow - Which Way?
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:51:17 EDT
Well, you can tell that I'm not busy today at work.....

I finally adjusted the heater water valve so it stays completely off when the
dash lever says OFF - whew - no more fried feet in the footwells!

Yesterday afternoon the short stubby heater hose from the valve to the heater
core sprung a leak and promptly wet a host of items including the volt reg
and my feet.  Not a big deal... I replaced it in short order, didn't lose
much coolant...and I guess that's the point of my question.....it appears as
though the coolant was flowing through the heater core towards the valve as
opposed to through the core FROM the valve.  With the valve partially open,
the coolant could pass through the "bad" hose with little resistance but when
I finally shut the valve off the coolant pressure built up in the hose and
found a weak spot to fail.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the heater core "cooler" by stopping
the coolant flow from the water pump at the valve rather than letting hot
water eventually make it's way into the core by convection if the flow comes
from the pump unstopped?

Geez, I hope you're all having as good a day as I am avoiding work!

Cheers,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (Fun Driver)