Re: TR4 - Hydraulic Type Brake Light Switch Failure

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 - Hydraulic Type Brake Light Switch Failure
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:12:36 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Brian Sanborn wrote:

> Listers,
>
> This morning driving to work I noticed that my brake lights are not working
>unless I am pushing real hard on the brake pedal.  When I bought the car last
>summer... it had the same symptom and I replaced the unit with one from MOSS.
>TRF had no stock.
>
> Looks like the exact same failure again.  Anybody seen this behavior before
>and have any advice on a source for a reliable part.
>
> Brian Sanborn
> 62 TR4 CT16260L - Groton, MA
> sanborn@net1plus.com

Brian,

Yes, I've had the same problem.  About every 5,000 to 7,000 miles (6 to 12
months) and the switch only works when you really jam the brakes.  Tried
several replacements over the last 3 years and all seem to do the same thing.
I believe there may be an
American counterpart from 60's era cars, but I haven't researched it.

I know there were some people on the list that worked for some of the bigger
auto parts chains - anybody mind looking on the shelf for another brand switch?

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars