Re: which tool would you get?

To: larry hooven <dirty_howi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: which tool would you get?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:23:30 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spitfire list <spitfires@autox.team.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, larry hooven wrote:

> question is can a grinder be succesfully used as a cut off tool with the
> correct wheel...

Yes, I use an electric 4.5" grinder for almost all my in-car cutting.
(for cutting raw sheet metal I usually use the sabre-saw as it is more
accurate).  If 4.5"x1/16" wheels are not available a 5" wheel just fits my
Craftsman grinder.

I elected to get the grinder over the cutoff tool (aka die grinder)
because it's bigger.  Granted, you can't use it in tight spots, but it's
also got lots of tool to hold onto.  You don't want one of these beggars
to kick back and chop your fingers open, etc...

> will a 3 in wheel work on a 4.5 grinder, if no 4.5 cutoff wheel is available.

That depends on the size of the arbor.  However, 4.5" wheels are really
common, so you shouldn't have troubles getting cutoff wheels.  I'm going
to look around here and see if I can get a bulk box of 4.5" x 3/64"
steel-stainless cutoff wheels (ZipCutt)- they get smoked up pretty quick
if you rush but when handled correctly make a nice thin cut- great for
letting in panelwork that needs to be 'adjusted'.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm