Re: Silverstone Gray, Pearl Gray, Pearl White

To: angelfj@erols.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silverstone Gray, Pearl Gray, Pearl White
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 09:01:23 EDT
Frank,

I'm jealous, you have an original overdrive car, the majority of TR3s did not
come with OD from the factory.  The engine # on my car is 58481E but only the
7 digit number was still on my firewall #1061495.  I intend to fabricate an
EB number that would be as close to the original as I can estimate.  What is
your EB number,?  It will help me get a pretty close estimate for mine.

I did send for the build sheet on my car.  The additional info was provided.
Colour-Silverstone Grey
Trim-Grey(leather)
Hood(top)-Black
Specification-LHD, North American Import
Date Built-31 August 1959
Date Despatched-8 September 1959
Destination(dealer)-Genser & Foreman Inc., Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
Details of Equipment-Disc Wheels, Heater, Adjustable steerinig Wheel,
Occasional Rear Seat, Tonneau Cover, 5.90-15 Whitewall Tyres

I have pretty much decided to keep both the trim and body color as the
original grey.  However, every time I see a picture of Fred Thomas's Red
TR3A, I begin to have second thoughts.

I am in the process of stripping of fthe old paint and rust.  PPG has a nice
paint system, that i will use in the following order.  Epoxy Primer, body
filler and cream (yes,on this system you use the body filler on top of the
primer!), re-prime the filled surfaces, paint with the two part single stage
DCC concept paint, sand, recoat with paint cocktail, sand with finer grit,
recoat with cocktail mix, sand 1500 grit and buff.  An individual that I work
with did this on a black 68 Malibu SS and it looks like a lacquer job,
absolutly perfect, no orange peel whatsoever.  He has been getting show
awards because of the finish.  He painted it himself, at home in his garage.
This was the first time that he ever painted a car!  Because you color sand
between coats, this paint system is very forgiving for the novice.  That's
what makes it so appealing.

I hope that this helps.

Gary Bouffard
TS 58399