Painting prep problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Painting prep problem
From: "Dave Rupert"<dave_rupert@codl.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:24:01 -0400
     Hey folks,

     After stripping almost every last bit of sheetmetal on the TR4 and
     epoxy primering them, I'm left with only the right front fender and
     the two doors to finish.

     I sandblasted each panel, then wiped them down with a mild solution of
     phosphoric acid, then wiped them down with laquer thinner.  I'm using
     the phosphoric acid because some areas on the panels were already bare
     metal, and I didn't necessarily trust my sandblasting to get tiny rust
     specks out of the pitted areas.

     This is where my problem comes in.  Now that it's August in southern
     Michigan, (high humidity) I'm having a flash rust problem.  The panels
     don't rust after they are sandblasted, but as soon as I'm finished
     wiping them down with the acid and then laquer thinner, they turn
     orange before my eyes as the thinner dries.  I can wipe them down with
     the acid solution and all of the rust goes away again, but as soon as
     I clean it off with the laquer thinner they rust all over again,
     instantly.

     Any suggestions?  Other chemicals/products I could use for pre-paint
     panel prep that will clean off the phosphoric acid?  I'm desperate to
     get past this point quickly, since I can feel the cold weather just
     around the corner.  The tub is already painted, and I want to get the
     color coats on the outer panels before the weather turns cold.  That's
     why I don't want to just wait several weeks for the humidity to drop.
     I don't have an environmentally controlled area at my disposal,
     either, so I have to do this in my garage/driveway.

     After seven years of work (don't ask) I can see the light at the end
     of the tunnel.  If I can get the paint on before the snow flies, I can
     assemble the car over the winter and be on the road by spring.

     TIA,

     Dave Rupert
     Dave_Rupert@codl.com
     1957 TR3