Re: Mysterious "rear end" noise

To: jays@paonline.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mysterious "rear end" noise
From: Phlsky@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:47:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/9/99 8:22:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jays@paonline.com
writes:

<<
 Well, I have finally found the source of the noise in my 74 TR6.  There was
a tapping/clicking coming from both sides of the rear of the car , seems like
since I bought it several months ago.  I initially pulled off the trim rings
and centers to check for small stones,etc.  Nothing. Put them back on. I
removed both wheels and dug out all the stones from the tread.  Drove the
car.  Still had the noises.  Rebuilt one hub.  Still had the noise.  No one
seemed to know what it was. Had an earlier posting about the problem.
Finally I pulled off the trim rings again and DROVE the car.  The noise was
gone.  The only thing I can figure is that the flexing of the tire makes the
valve stems strike the edge of their hole in the trim ring.  Has anyone else
had this problem?  Is there another explanation?  Well, at least it won't
cost me any more money!

 Jay
 74TR6,  face matching exterior now!

I am experiencing a small.....almost popping noise coming from the rear of my
'74 TR6, especially after I start the car and first start to move. It almost
sounds like the tire is going over a small stone thats popping out from under
the tire.  Sort of like like a little pop, or clunk sound.  Being new to
Triumphs, and being new to this particular vehicle, I was getting worried
that this was "one of those problems".

Hope your right. I hope its just the valve stem striking the hole in the trim
ring.  Your post couldn't have come at a better time.

-Phil Walsky
'74 TR6