RE: Hyman Ltd

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hyman Ltd
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:47:51 -0600 charset="iso-8859-1"

The above discussion refers to an ad for a TR5 at:

<http://wwwheels.com/cfapps/results.cfm?CustNumber=18205&Start=61>

If that link doesn't work for you try <http://www.specialcar.com/hyman/> and
follow the Inventory links to the page which has the TR5. Here is the text
of the ad:

"68 TRIUMPH TR5 ROADSTER RED w/ BLACK int. 6 CYLINDER 22,000mi. 4 SPD. Car
was brought into the US when new in 68 by an executive of Ford Motor Co.
This is an unrestored 22,000 mile original car with factory surrey top and
chrome wire wheels, $25,000 Stock No. 1513"

Ok so the asking price is 25k USD. It is a dealer so thus the price is a
"retail" price not the price one would expect from a private sale (at least
according to my understanding of car pricing). So what do you all think this
car should sell for?

Wasn't the gentleman from Triumphs Only in California selling a TR5 a while
back with similar low mileage (but a whack of documented factory mods) for
~19k (USD)? If this TR5 is close to what the description suggests, wouldn't
it be worth close to that price (to the right person)?

Since it is a Euro spec car, wouldn't his sell for about 15k GBP in England
(at least) if it's as described?

I'm curious what people think this car is worth (from all parts of the
world). It sounds like a real find. (Wonder why they don't list O/D -- I
thought all Euro-spec TR5s had O/D.)

PS. I wonder if the exec was Lee Iacocca.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO