TR6 Differetial Seal Replacement

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Differetial Seal Replacement
From: "Rick Harris" <4re_rick@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:04:25 -0400
Hello listers.

Two years ago I completed a major mechanical rebuild including engine, hubs,
brakes, bushings, springs, shocks, clutch and interior when my 72 TR6 hit
100,000 miles.

Just 6000 miles after that major overhaul I heard the notorious clunk under
the rear end. Yes I broke the right front differential mount. So I've
dropped the differential and my little friend will be down at the machine
shop next week getting outfitted with a custom fabricated mounting brackets
along with the nice stiffener kit from TRF.

The differential has some minor leaks. Now that it is out I would like to
replace as a minimum the three outer rubber oil seals. My question is should
I also replace the inner press seals and the bearings as well? There doesn't
seem to be any slop in the gears. Having read the Haynes repair manual it
appears that if I remove each split axle and replace the parts before
proceeding to the next I should be able to do this without the need of any
special tools or harming any critical fit alignments.

Have I missed anything or should I just stick with replacing the rubber
seals.

TIA
Rick
72 TR6 CC76216 w/106,000 plus