Re: My retarded vacuum retarder...could it be...

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My retarded vacuum retarder...could it be...
From: Jim <jdeatsc1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 15:57:33 -0400
as Jim steps up on his soapbox.........

As I understand vacuum retard it works like this.  I'm hoping (sure)
I'll be corrected where I err.
As the engines spark lead requirements change (based on throttle opening

at a given load) the spark can advance or retard as needed.  Remember
that most distributors have a centrifigal advance as well.  This works
based on SPEED of the distributor.
An internal combustion, reciprocating, engine runs better (all things
being equal) when the spark is introduced EARLY in the combustion
process.
The problem with introducing it TOO early is pre-ignition.  Pre-ignition

is not a good thing in that it can melt piston crowns, valve faces,
plugs.  There ARE those in the automotive engineering world who maintain

that a LITTLE bit of pre-ignition is a good thing and they have been
known to arrest pre-ignition with a little spray of water (AKA water
injection).
Whew,
trip.