Re: All Fogged Up

To: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>
Subject: Re: All Fogged Up
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Sumner Weisman wrote:

> Was the condensation on the inside of the glass or the outside?  If on the

OK, here's a bit of a screwball- moisture was on *BOTH* sides of the
windscreen.  I thought it was on the inside, finger smudge got rid of most
of it, but the wipers got rid of more.  (I think I forgot to mention this
in my first email)

> inside, there may have been some moisture trapped in your heater.  When you
> turned it on, probably for the first time this year, it condensed out
> temporarily on the glass surface.  If the condensation was on the outside,
> you probably hit a pocket of fog (saturated air), and the glass surface
> temperature was below the dew point temperature of the air.  Then, you
> either drove out of the fog pocket, or the heater by that time warmed up the
> glass temperature so that it was above the air dew point temperature.

I don't really think there was moisture trapped in my heater, as it is
"on" all the time (the hot water valve busted long ago, so I patched it
straight thru, on-all-the-time; we have mild weather out here and it gets
pretty cool in the evenings, so I don't mind roasting my feet in the
daytime ;-)

I think I probably drove thru a fog pocket, makes sense- the top of
Shirley Hill is notoriously foggy, especially in summer.  There was no
warning, though!  That's what bothered me- if I drove through a big patch
of fog and my windshield fogged up, I wouldn't be so puzzled.

Then again, the fire department practices on Thursdays, maybe they spilled
a bunch of water on the (warm) asphalt where I drove through, thus
increasing the relative humidity for that stretch of road...?

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm