red lines and inner tubes?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: red lines and inner tubes?
From: ConwayNYC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 06:32:58 EDT
I have had my '76 TR6 for about a year, so I still have a lot of learning
going on. Here's the question:
The car came with redlines all around. Yesterday, I came out and the right
front tire was flat. When I took the tire to the local (NYC) tire repair, the
hole was at the base of the stem of the inner tube. The repair man told me I
don't need the tube - and he proceeded to pull out the tube, fit a new valve
stem to the wheel, plop the tire back on and put the tire under pressure. Is
this OK? If so, why the tube in the first place? Or did I do a BAD thing?
Does the pressure change w/o a tube? Any thoughts would be appreciated.