Reverse on a '74 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Reverse on a '74 TR6
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:33:49 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Jim --
Your points are well expressed and well taken. Please understand, my
concluding e-mail (below) was an effort at LBC humor and the open admission
that I don't know what I'm doing all the time with this car. As soon as one
of the listees told me to lift the lever to shift into reverse, I tried it
and it worked like a charm. Nonetheless, there are/were two methods to gain
reverse gear; one was heavy handed and could have damaged my shifter and one
was easy with no damage.
But, I still have questions. Some folks wrote that "late model" TR6s don't
require the lifting of the lever into reverse. Everyone seemed to accept
that. But, what is considered a "late model TR6"? Is a'74 a late model? '74
1/2? '75?
I'm concerned because I'm finding pieces of non-1974 TR6s in my car. The
seats are from a 70-72 TR6 (anyone wanna trade?). The driver door window
regulator was from a TR4 (so said my mechanic). The dash support bracket is,
supposedly, non-74 TR6. All the knobs on the dash are from a 69-71 TR6.
Based on the above, you can see that I'm still not sure how this shifter is
supposed to work. So, I'm not pretending at anything. Obviously, the easiest
method, in this case, is the right method.
Regards,
Red Hansen
'74 TR6 CF13994 -
P.S. "... shifted into reverse from neutral with one finger..." Hell, I
can't do that with my automatics! Your transmissions must be NICE!