Thanks

To: tr <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks
From: Fergie <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:12:27 -0400
Just wanted to say THANKS to all who replied to my recent post about my
timing woes. I received a number of very helpful suggestions,
step-by-steps, not to mention sympathy and I do appreciate it!

As it turned out, yes the timing was off, but that wasn't the problem.
When none of the suggestions resolved my problem, I finally gave
up...twisted the distributor so it ran better than at any other setting
(it STILL ran VERY poorly), grabbed my cell phone and headed for Henry
Frye's house! Henry's about 25 miles from me and as I missed and
backfired my way across Connecticut, I wondered if I'd be able to make
it up the hills.

Drove about 20 miles and, for no apparent reason, the engine actually
started to RUN! Magic? No more missing or backfiring - I actually had
some power! Set the timing (which was rather far off the mark) and test
drove it with no problems. I made it home in fine shape and am headed
for Portland tomorrow morning!

Given the nature of the problem - and it's "cure" - I suspect Henry and
I would STILL be trying to figure it out. I really don't know what was
wrong or why it magically started to run properly - I guess there's a
great deal of truth to the "they like to be driven" school of thought!!

Anyway, thanks again to all who offered help...but especially to Henry
who was just back from vacation and had his own TR3 in pieces getting it
ready for VTR - yet still took the time to help the helpless
(hopeless?)!

--
Michael Ferguson
Vernon CT