Speedometer Overhaul

To: Tom Snabl <toms@eicon.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Speedometer Overhaul
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:27:36 -0400
Tom, I had a similar failure.  My speedo was working OK with at severe pointer
waver (+/- 5 mph).  I greased the cable, but the waver came back soon.  I
replaced the cable and it was better until it went to ZERO, just like yours.
I had been messing with the angle drive to lube it (not user serviceable) and
checked it.  It was toasted.  I got it fixed and it was better than new.
buttoned it all up and STILL ZERO!!.  THe speedometer input shaft had been
seized.
And broken the angle drive AGAIN!

Your situation is similar.

You replaced the angle drive, then found the speedo was defective.  You probably
broke the new angle drive.  Did you check it?  You can check it by removing the
speedo cable from the speedo and then pulling up some slack into the passenger
compartment.  THen drive around.  Have an assistant check the cable to see if
it is turning.  Grab the square end and try to prevent it from turning.  Does
it turn in your fingers no matter how hard you squeeze?

Did you check the repaired speedo?  Can you turn the input shaft by hand
with no effort?  If you turn it fast, does the pointer move?  If you twist the
speedometer back and forth does the pointer bounce and move freely?

Check these things out and let me know.  We WILL figure this one out!

-Tony Rhodes

Message text written by Tom Snabl

Dear ?

<