Re: Title Services

To: iron_horse819@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Title Services
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:52:16 -0400

I have not used any of the title services but I did speak to several people who
did use them and I called several of the title services earlier this year.  For
my intended application my vehicle was too new.   THere is a price increase for
vehicles manufactured after about '73 and the upper limit is for vehicles
manufatured prior to about '88.    From memory, cost range is about $300 to
$450. Titles on exotics cost more.  Several of them have web sites.

The title services work out of states that until fairly recently did not have
vehicle titles.  These states used a bill of sale.  The title service will send
you a form (blank bill of sale) that you fill out and have notorized.  You are
"selling your vehicle" to them on the bill of sale.  They then register the
vehicle in that state (typ. AL or NV), aquire a title in their name and then
"resell the vehicle" to you.  You take the new title from the previous owner
(the title supplying company) and register it in your home state in your name.

In most states you can apply for a title for a vehicle that you have legally
purchased (with out a title) from your Dept. of Motor Vehicles and fill out the
various forms, get the signatures, run a check on the vin number/serial number,
etc.  When using a title service, the title services do all the leg work for
you.