Why is emery cloth bad?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Why is emery cloth bad?
From: "Butch Lewis" <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:34:10 -0700
Thanks to all who responded. I had used fine emery (got the spelling right this
time) for years and never thought much of it until reading the "prohibition"
just one time too many for my comfort. The consensus among "listers" seems to
be:
(1) that the particles in the emery are abrasive and will do damage if they
"fall into the works". - I have always taken measures to prevent that because
of just such a fear.
(2) that the particles are conductive. - again, I take pains to keep them out.
(3) that the particles might become imbedded in the material being polished -
ahhh, I hadn't thought of that one.

I had never heard of "glass paper" until seeing it mentioned in a Haynes
manual. Is this something that is readily available?

Butch