The alternator is really dead!!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: The alternator is really dead!!
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:42:49 -0400 (EDT)

:-(

Looks like the alternator is dead.  The idiot light is good and 12v is
getting back to the alternator through it.  I take it that would mean
the diode array connected to the field coils is bad.  So, is this a
field replacable part??  Is there somewhere I can buy a rebuild kit for
a Lucas Alternator for a 1979 Spitfire??  Is there another alternator
that can be used?? (I've heard some mention of a Delco but I am not sure
if this was an option or a major modification.  I want to restore the car
to the original specs.)

Thanks in advance.

bill

--