Labelling, photographing, restoration, memory

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Labelling, photographing, restoration, memory
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 07:45:38 -0400

Jim Wallace wrote:

    I've been taking this car apart for a couple of years now, so I'm
    beginning to wonder if maybe I took something out of there, replaced the
    bolts, and forgot.  Just a couple of months after getting the car I had
    this birthday that imposed a step function (down) on my memory. Now I
    understand why everybody keeps saying how critical it is to label
    everything.

My TR250 is nearly back together, though it doesn't look like it will be
making the move to Chicago under its own power.  I can't state strongly
enough how useful it has been to have pictures, notes, and labels.  I wasn't
doing a complete restoration (only mostly apart and only for a month or
two), but I bet I ran inside ten times during the reassembly to pop up some
digital photos on the computer as guides to reassembly of the front
suspension, carb linkage and other bits that were originally assembled by
elves.  I've also referred to my handwritten notes several times.  Having
things labelled, especially wires, made reassembly/reconnection of stuff in
the engine bay a breeze.

If you're going to do a full restoration, go get a digital camera (I like
the Sony Mavica because it writes JPEGs to floppy disks - no interface
problems there).  It will make your job *sooo* much easier.  I didn't use a
video camera, though I think it would have also been handy (though kind of
tough to index).  Take lots of notes.  Go to the local OfficeMax and get a
little box of those small tags with the strings and use them.

If you don't have a digital camera you should be able to convince your honey
that it will be worth it just for the reduction in reassembly time.

Skip Montanaro  | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com  | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
518-372-5583