TR6 Steering column bushes

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Steering column bushes
From: Skip Osmundsen <gosmund@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 23:26:05 -0400
Happy 4th Listers,
Well I just spent my Sunday evening extracting the upper steering
column assy. on the TR6 for the purpose of replacing the bushes.
It's now resting on the workbench. Grrrr what a job. I'd love to get my
hands on the genius who came up with those wonderful shear bolts on the
ignition switch; -- guess what's _not_ going to get renewed as original.
And btw (while I'm still up on this horse) what the heck is the story on
those stupid dome covers over the bracket bolts?
Anyway, it's out and now I have a problem getting the bushes to move.
The Bentley says to simply depress the dowels to release the bush from
the housing but they don't want to budge. The only thing I've come up
with so far is to squeeze them in a vise with some slices of the right
sized wooden dowel.  Has anyone come up with an easy (or even not so
easy :-) way to get these things out?
Any help is appreciated.

Skip Osmundsen
76 TR6