Tr6 differential clunks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tr6 differential clunks
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 10:18:40 -0700
Cc: cowan@erg.sri.com
When accellerating slightly hard yesterday, a clicking or clunking noise
developed.  I sounded like metal hitting metal and I suspected one of the
half -shaft bolts.  Today I removed the half shaft and found the noise is
coming from differential.  Yikes!

I'll drop the diff this weekend but wanted to start the flow of advice
and/or condolences as soon as possible.

I'm assuming that one or more gears have failed.  How do I know if the diff
is trashed?  What is repairable by me---a reasonably handy guy (I rebuilt
the engine several years back, knock on wood) but without special tools.

If this diff is history, should I go for a used part (junk yard), the guts
from a 2500 (from Oz?), or take it to a BLC shop and say FIX IT ($$$).
I usually drive this car 3-4 days a week for about 5000 mi/year.

As usual, thanks in advance.
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6
Mountain View, California USA