Re: Commission Vs Body Number (Herald)

To: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Commission Vs Body Number (Herald)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:45:38 -0400 ()
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Bill Davies wrote:

>       Some listers will remember that I recently bought a 1959 Herald Saloon
> as (yet) another project. The commission number is G6751, and the body
> number attached to the car is GM3XXX (that is three thousand and
> something I can't remember!), whereas the Heritage Certificate which
> arrived this morning shows the body number as being GC3XXX (the same
> number with a different prefix). All of the later (1960 onwards) Heralds
> I have recorded have GC as the Body number, but I have a spare early
> Bulkhead which still has the body number attached, and that too is a GM.
> Were both series of body numbers actually issued, or were the prefixes
> interchangeable (as the Heritage cerificate would imply)? If the latter
> is true, there is a discrepancy of around 3000 units between the body
> and commission numbers of my car, which seems very strange for a car
> this early. I have noticed a similar discrepancy between commission and
> body numbers on later (GC) cars, but I didn't think it strange once the
> number series had run a little higher.
>       Anyone got any views on this (Andy)?

Well, I'll happily add to the confusion! :-) I have noticed that many
early Herald 948 convertibles have an "RC" body prefix. However, my own
948 Convertible carries body number RT92. (Yes, RT instead of RC.)
Interestingly, BMIHT recognized my prefix as correct, and did comment on
my build certificate that this car is one of the earliest Herald
convertibles produced (7/14/60 -- Bastille Day!)

Meanwhile, my 1960 sedan, a "Personal Export Delivery" car built in April
1960, carried a GC prefixed body number as well.

Here's a WAG for you: Could the change (from GM to GC in sedans and RT to
RC in convertibles) have anything to do with the new assembly hall "coming
online" in 1960? Sorry, I don't have any books handy at work, so I don't
remember what date that occured. Perhaps the change in code was for
"interfactory identification"?

--Andy