TR-250 Ammeter

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-250 Ammeter
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:49:56 -0500
Listers,

My girlfriend's TR-250 has a Lucas ammeter as the original Smith's
shorted out.  I pointed out to here that it reads backwards,  The needle
swings indicate discharge while it is charging and to charge when it is
discharging.

We tried just swapping the leads on the back of the ammeter -  it didn't
change anything.  This surprised me as I thought the meter basically
read the direction of current.  any suggestions on what to do to make it
read correctly?

Also,  I was messing with my 72 Ford pickup  - replacing dash lights.  I
noticed that the ammeter doesn't have heavy wires going to it, which I
thought was a requirement of ammeters. It just uses the same printed
circuitry as the rest of the panel.  Is it really something else that
shows whether the battery is charging of discharging/  if so what?

Thanks,

Roger Elliott.