Exhaust popping

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust popping
From: MDDTR6@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:40:58 EDT
Hi

I have been enjoying this list for a few months but have not posted until
now.  I have a 71 TR- 6 and am having a problem with the exhaust popping
during deceleration.  Last year I had TRF Install the harden seats in the
head, shouldn’t cause it but included it for background  Until this time I
had a different head on it and never had the popping.  So far I have replaced
the intake and exhaust manifold gasket to the head, replace the by-pass
valves and then completely blocked them by making a solid gasket, (this took
care of my idle slowly increasing) thoroughly check for vacuum leaks, all new
tune up components and checked timing, plugging the vacuum retard seems to
help but did not take care of the problem, held a rag over the exhaust, while
at idle to see if I could detect any exhaust leaks, couldn’t find any.  At
this point I am considering removing the intake and exhaust manifolds and
having them milled to insure a true flat surface.  I assume you can mill the
manifolds, does anyone know for sure?  Anyone have any ideas?  Any help sure
would be appreciated, the popping driving me crazy and taking some of  the
fun away.

Thanks in advance

Mark Desenberg
Maine