Speeding Ticket - avoidance

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speeding Ticket - avoidance
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 09:25:18 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
While I don't in any way condone unsafe driving, I feel that "prudent
and reasonable" should be the limiting factor on the highway.  I have
safely traveled to Portland, OR on a divided highway with no other cars
in sight at well over 100mph for miles and miles.  When I come up on
another car I always slow to about 5mph more than the car I am
overtaking before speeding up again.  The Saab is a very stable cruising
platform.  I like to drive fast, as do most of us.  As long as you are
driving within your and your car's limits, you are less likely to cause
an accident than the woman putting drops in her eyes (ref. previous
post) at 5mph under the speed limit.

I also firmly believe that you should accept the possible ramifications
of your actions.  If you are ticketed for negligent speeding, just pay
the fine.  If you can't afford the fine and other ramifications, then
keep to the speed limit.

On the other hand, there are times when you are driving safely a few
miles an hour over the limit and are stopped for speeding.  Too often
the impetuous for this type of traffic stop is revenue, rather than road
safety.  Traffic enforcement officers will bridle at this remark, but I
have too many friends with the State Patrol and local police to think
otherwise.  It is this situation to which this post is intended.

Now to the point.

I have been told, by friends in uniform, that if you are stopped for
speeding, the best way to avoid a ticket is to be very polite to the
officer, but deny speeding.  An admission of even 1mph over the limit is
sufficient for the ticket to hold in court.  Be polite, but firm, in
your denial.  If the officer persists and tickets you regardless, the
court will usually dismiss the charge provided that you are willing to
commit perjury under oath.  I absolutely, categorically, and
emphatically do not condone perjury under oath.  Period.  But along the
side of a highway, with an officer "just doing his job", when the
infraction is one of merit rather than substance, I will have no problem
looking him/her straight in the eye.

It hasn't come to that in over ten years.  But ten years ago, I avoided
a ticket for doing 8mph over the 55mph limit on a divided highway that
was built when the limit was 70mph.  The officer was coming the opposite
direction with radar, and flew through the median with dirt and gravel
flying, accelerating to well over 90mph to catch this hardened criminal.
No, I feel no shame.  And I would do it again without remorse if it
comes to that.

I too was burned by the court system many years ago when I was unfairly
ticketed for 3mph over the limit in a radar trap.  In court I told the
judge that my speed was within plus or minus 1mph of the limit.  He then
asked me if I admitted that I may have done 1mph over the limit.  When I
said that it was possible, he found me guilty.

Talk about contempt of court!  It makes me angry just reliving it.  I
have to go now...

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage
'70 MGB GT  -ours
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."