Distributor Help

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor Help
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:05:14 -0400
After posting about the problems with the 6 cutting out
and getting some ideas from the list, here is where I'm
at:

1.  I checked all the wiring for any breaks, bad kinks
and wear.  All looked fine.

2.  Replaced the ignitor system with good ol points. Car
ran fine for about 5 minutes but didn't take it out since
it was getting late.

3.  Came home tonight and double checked the line coming
from the harnes to the positive terminal of the coil. Did
notice some exposed wire but not a tear. Went ahead and
put on a new female connector.

4.  Tried to start the 6 but it would never really turn over.
Checked all out several times, pulled the distributor to
make sure the dog drive was engaged, etc. But still wouldn't
start.

5.  Decided to check the points to make sure they were opening
and closing properly with correct gap. Turned the engine (I do
this by disconnecting the positive battery cable and turn the
fan by hand, pulling up and clockwise).

WELL, first the rotor wouldn't turn and then when I got it to
turn it was going in the wrong direction (based on the arrow
on top of the rotor)!

What have I done and how do I correct this.

Very much humbled and feeling sheepish.....

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6