Wife vs. TR6 Tires

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wife vs. TR6 Tires
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:12:04 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I decided on a new set of tires for my TR6, but now my wife wants to know
WHY I need a new set of tires.  Here's the controversy:  When I bought the
car, it came with a nice-looking set of tires.  But the Triumph mechanic
(who did a buyer's inspection) said they were probably some kind of light
truck tires.  How did he know this?  Well, he had removed one of them and
found that they were (significantly?) heavier than ordinary TR6 tires.  My
wife points out that there is plenty of tread left on them---and she is
correct.  The mechanic thought the car was riding "slightly" hard.  I can't
tell.  It seems fine to me (I'm running 22/24lbs pressure).

What are these tires that I have?  I don't want to waste a four-wheel
alignment on the "wrong" tires.  Does anyone know what a Michelin 185 HR-15
XVS-P is?  They are some years old.  ARE they some kind of light truck
tire?  The "P" indicates passenger, of course, but apparently these are
fairly heavy-duty tires.  What's "HR"?  What's an "XVS" Michelin?  Should I
be using these heavy (?) tires on my car?

Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com
'72 TR6, Emerald Green