Re: TR6--MAKING IT SAFER?

To: "Steve Myers" <steve@mindtribe.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6--MAKING IT SAFER?
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:53:12 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Steve and list:

I think you hit on what "hit" me when I totalled my 74 a few years go.  The
aftermath was that I had and still have back problems.  Without belts, I'd
have flown over the B@#$% 18 year old clueless female (apologies in advance
to all women everywhere that DO know that you are not supposed to make a
left hand turn into oncoming traffic!!!!!!! Especially pretty little TR
cars - pissed off? ,me? no, never).  I would have been wearing the brick
wall of a Belgian pastry shoppe that day and pushing daisies today.

My head  DID hit the mirror despite the belt, which make me suspect the
inertia belts in a TR may be past their prime despite functionality.  I DO
recall being twisted toward the center of the car and pulled downward.  My
injuries were to the lower back - apparently a bruised "nobbily" on one of
the spine thingies that then interfered with a cyatic nerve - ugh.  This
impact had me on the brakes - as soon as the car crossed the centerline as I
was entering the intersection - and maybe down to a 25 to 25 mph impact.  I
have several comments about the TR's and their crashworthiness, but first a
story about a racing accident in the GT6 (again, bear with me)

Short form... AH 3000 spins at 80 mph,  crosses my path backwards as I am
passing at 11/10ths in a race...Boom... more severe damage to both cars than
to the TR6 that did my back in.  I was wearing full indycar gear including
the 6 point harness of 3" webbing.  Despite toalling both cars,  I cam away
with a feeling as though someone punched me in the chest hard, once.  End.
My neck was sore for a few days, but that may have been due to the 6 hours
under the car changing the blown up diff the nite before.  No other
injuries.

There is the contrast between a proper racing harness and a 3 point in a
TR6.  The comp rules are very clear about the angle of the belt over the
shoulder being as flat back as possible (GT was a 90 degree to my spine) and
I think that made the difference.  In the old days before modern roll cages,
only lap belts were used.  Even a 3" lap belt in a TR6 is, to my thinking,
preferable to a 3 point belt.

If you install a roll bar in the car,  it would be possible and desirable to
mount   the upper point above the shoulder.  But then, you must ensure the
rollbar is capable of absorbing the G forces of your body deceleration in
addition to the rollover forces.  What would happen if the bar gave way
while you were upside down?

There are documented cases of people's spitfires being mashed into little
balls of tin with surviving drivers.  These cars are generally safe, but
they are old and small.  There is no side impact protection  to speak of,
and precious little room between you and the door.  Some day, somewhere, you
will have your go at a bad one and, God willing, it will not be in the TR.
The money spent on a good defensive driving/skid school./race school  may
just save your life someday.  Remember that there is now way to do battle
with a Chevy Subdivision being driven by "mom" with a screaming baseball
team in back with ANYTHING that TR ever imported to the US of A.

Take cars, drive safe,  and talk to a racer about safety equipment and
accident avoidance.  I've been there on both counts, sadly.  Some things can
only be learned by experience, and some of those things are better left as
"theory".

Dave T
Winnipeg