Re: Won one from Prince Lucas this evening

To: krus@worldnet.att.net, agostinihp@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Won one from Prince Lucas this evening
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:41:41 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/12/99 1:35:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
krus@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Hector   Thanks for the advise, I may have to try that.  I fixed the
>  flasher bulb holders this evening.  Now the turnsignals work all around .
>  Then I tried the hazard signal and all four lights worked great.  Did this
>  a couple of three times turn signals then hazzard lights.  Turned
>  everything off and then came back about 30 minutes later and tried the
>  hazzard lightsagain and nothing happened.  Trun signals worked great.  I
>  took hazzard switch apart and cleaned all contacts . This did not help
>  either.  At least I fixed the bulb holders turnsignals and backup lights..4
>  holders at $12.25 @ .
>  Good savings , will be able to use that money somewhere else.  Does anyone
>  have a suggestion what may be causing the problem with the hazzard lights.
>  Dan Masters where are you?  Can you solve this one or give me a hint?

Russ,

Sorry for the delay -- things have been quite hectic here the last few days,
so I haven't been reading all the Triumph list mail. My grandson is staying
with us for a few days, so I'll just be getting further and further behind
for a few more days.

As you now have the Turn signals working, your biggest problems are over, so
we'll see if we can't get the hazard flasher working. Most likely either a
bad hazard flasher or a bad hazard flasher relay.

First of all, find the hazard relay. It's close to the hazard flasher, near
the fuse box, and has wires attached as follows:

One terminal will have green/white wires (labeled C?)
One terminal will have green/red wires (labeled C?)
One terminal will have a black wire (labeled W?)
One terminal will have a light green/brown wire (labeled C?)
One terminal will have  purple/red wires (labeled W?)

I used ? for the terminal labels because they may have been switched over the
years, and it really doesn't matter - all three C? terminal are isolated from
each other when the relay is de-energized, and all three are connected
together inside when the relay is energized, thus all three are completely
interchangable as long as you don't mix up the wire colors. ie, all g/w wires
go to the same terminal, which ever C? terminal it is. All g/r wires go to
the same terminal, etc.

The W? wires are the relay coil connections, and they are interchangable as
well, as long as you don't mix the wire colors.

With the ignition key off, turn on the hazard flasher switch and look for 12
volts on the purple/red wire on the relay. If you have voltage here, we'll
look further into the flasher and relay. If not, you have a bad connection or
break in the p/r wire from the switch, or in the purple wire to the switch.

A) you do have voltage on the p/r wire: With the hazard switch still on, use
a short piece of wire and jumper from the p/r wire to the terminal with the
lg/brown wire. If the lights come on but don't blink, the relay is ok, but
the flasher or the wiring to the flasher (either the p/r or the lg/brown
wire) is bad. If the lights don't come on at all, the relay is bad.

B) you don't have voltage on the p/r wire: Check for voltage on the purple
wire at the hazard switch. If you have voltage here, either the switch is bad
or there is a break in the p/r wire. Look for voltage on the p/r wire AT the
switch. If no voltage, the switch is bad - if voltage, the p/r wire is bad.

It's not inconcievable that you have more than one problem, so if, after
finding and fixing one fault, they still don't work, repeat the tests above
as needed. You could have a bad hazard switch, a bad flasher, AND a bad relay.

There is a very slight chance that the problem won't be uncovered by the
above tests (very slight), so if not, let me know and I'll give you the steps
for dealing with that.

Hope this helps.

BTW, if you, or any pre '73 TR6 owner is interested in a permanent cure for
the hazard switch failures, let me know and I'll send you the directions for
this. I have it in my car, and I have never had a problem with the flashers
since.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/